Pigeon Peas and Rice Recipe
Growing up I remember picking pigeon peas (Cajanus Cajan). Its a drought tolerant and warm weather crop. Have you tried this legume? Many people are still unaware of the nutritional benefits of pigeon peas. Their benefits are undeniable. They are low in fat, very high in Protein and dietary fiber and can be added to a number of tasty dishes.
Below is a link to 9 benefits of pigeon peas.
To start the New Year, I have a tasty Recipe for you.
A Delicious Pigeon Peas and Rice;
Cuisine: Saint Lucia/Caribbean
Servings: 4 Ingredients;
- 1 cup basmati rice - 3 Tablespoons coconut oil - 1/2 medium onion chopped - 2 green onions - 1/2 bell pepper (optional) - 1 teaspoon fresh thyme - 1 teaspoon garlic - 1 teaspoon paprika - 1/2 teaspoon cumin - 1 teaspoon creole salt - 1 cup fresh corn - 1 cup pigeon peas - 1 cup coconut milk - 2 cups water - 1 or more teaspoon bouillon powder (optional) - Salt and pepper to taste Instructions;
- Thoroughly rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear to eliminate surface starch that causes the rice to clump together or get gummy as it cooks.
- Drain water. - Heat a saucepan with coconut oil.
- Add onions, green onions, bell pepper, garlic, paprika, thyme.
- Sauté for about 2 minutes. - Stir in rice, followed by pigeon peas and corn.
- Sauté for about a minute. - Pour in coconut milk, bouillon powder, creole spice, with about 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and reduce heat. - Cover with a lid and simmer for 18 minutes until rice is cooked.
- To prevent burning, stir occasionally. Add more water if needed. - Taste for salt and pepper. Voila! Bon Appétit 💖🍲🍃🌱🌶